Friday, January 28, 2011

A Lesson in Navigation

On Thursday, I was given the task of navigating the tube and the streets of North London up by King's Cross to drop off some forms for my MP. As the girl who gets lost in every town I've ever lived in, even the hometown I've called my permanent address for 20 years, this was a daunting assignment. So I folded the Google map in my pocket, held on tightly to my Oyster Card and my phone and prepared to embarrass myself.

Instead, besides turning the wrong way out of the tube at first, I made my way to an Office in North London, calmly dropped off the forms and made my way back without even losing anything.

I was quite proud of myself if I can say so.

Along the way, I found some cool little "landmarks."


Like the Guardian offices. Clearly the newspaper I would love to work at if I was ever lucky enough to land a job in London. Also, it was the first real newspaper office I've seen in London, so I couldn't resist snapping a picture.

Also, King's Cross Station is just kind of awesome. If you've watched Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, (I think) this is the clock that Harry and Ron almost crash into in the Ford Anglia.

Honestly, this is one of the best parts about living in London. I'll be walking around, then just randomly run into something that I've always wanted to see. We got off a Tube stop last week, and realized we were in Trafalgar Square. (I should have realized the stop was for Trafalgar Square anyway, but that's ok.) Some people were walking around the neighborhood yesterday, walked through a cemetery, then realized it was the same cemetery where they shot some scenes for the new "Sherlock Holmes."

So hopefully I won't keep being scared about looking like a tourist, and I'll keep taking pictures of these landmarks for you amazing people.

No comments:

Post a Comment