Tuesday, February 1, 2011

British Humour

Yes, the British spell it with a 'u', so I'm going to spell humour with a 'u' for the time being.

Dealing with the British sense of humour is probably one of the hardest things about living in London. And I did not expect it to be. I like the Monty Python series. I like Hugh Laurie. I've watched my fair share of British television shows and movies. So I know I like British comedy and figured I'd at least be able to recognize it when I hear it.



Case in point

Turns out this is referred to comedy, folks. The British interject humour into their everyday life like Americans ask each other "how are you?" The problem with this for outsiders (like me) is that it's often hard to tell when they're being serious and when they're joking, especially because a lot of British humour isn't even meant to get a laugh.

Rather, according to an article I had to read for class, British humour is made up of ironies, understatements and wittiness. Humour is well-timed and well-turned.

The article adds the British have a thing about being earnest. "Seriousness is acceptable, solemnity is prohibited. Sincerity is allowed, earnestness is strictly forbidden." This ban on taking oneself too seriously leads to the phrase "Oh, come off it!" It also leads to self-deprecation, because they place a high value on modesty.

Anyway, the English are always ready to throw some humour into anything. The author gave the example that when her father went out to dinner with some Italian friends, and they complained about the restaurant, her father simply said, "Oh, so you wouldn't recommend it, then?"

Dealing with that can get difficult. Especially if I think something is a joke and start to laugh, but the English barely smirk. The humour is subtle and interjected everywhere you go. You have to be quick to recognize it and quick to respond to it.



Are they serious? Are they joking? What the-?

So, just another part of British culture to get used to. Some study abroad to learn a new language, and I feel like I'm studying abroad to relearn a language.

No comments:

Post a Comment