Thursday, February 3, 2011

Snowpocalypse v. Westminster

So, there was a blizzard in the Midwest or something?

Oh. Right. That little thing.

I understand this storm is one of those crazy stories that only happens every ten years or whatever, but seriously, can everyone calm down? All I see is a tremendous storm and a wonderful opportunity for a snow day.


Photo Courtesy Mom and Dad Allen


Okay, maybe I'm just jealous of your snow day... good old, perfect, MY University of Wisconsin... And maybe I miss the snow a little.

But when all anyone can talk about is the blizzard, I seriously start to wonder whether all of this transatlantic communication technology is really worth it.
My Typical Skype Conversation This Week:
Me: Hello?
Somebody: Hello?
Me: Oh good! The internet is finally working, [which it never does over here because high-speed connections are non-existent.] It's so great to talk to you! How are you? How's everything going?
Somebody: Well, we have this blizzard coming, did you hear?
Me: Yeah I saw on Facebook and everything. You even got a little shout out on BBC-
Somebody: Oh it's going to be a big one! Everyone was grocery shopping like there was going to be no tomorrow. On the Weather Channel it's stretching over the Midwest to the East Coast! It's all ice on the ground now, but then there's going to be some major snowfall!
Me: Right, I saw it on weather.com-
Somebody: It's going to be a big one!
Me: Yeah, well at work today-
Somebody: All the school's have a snow day!
Me: Aw, I missed it! And I had to work today-
Somebody: Yeah, everyone had a snow day! Classes kept getting canceled or delayed, and then they just called a snow day! Everyone was so excited... yada yada yada for the next 10 minutes.

New Rule: If I suddenly lose all communication with you because of a blizzard, or if all you can talk about is a blizzard, I will stop going on Skype, Facebook and updating Twitter and Blogspot.

...Ok not really, obviously. But I really wanted to.

So what did I really do this week besides feel grumpy about this ridiculous blizzard that I don't even get to enjoy? You know, walking through Westminster, listening to debates, writing writing writing, website work, class. Keeping busy.

Proof:

Why are these buildings always under some sort of construction? [Because they're really old and need preserving?] Anyway, you get the idea, I hope. I finally snapped this picture when I didn't feel ridiculously self-conscious about pulling my camera out in the middle of Westminster Hall.

Ok, more updates that are more exciting than the snowpocalypse to come soon!

1 comment:

  1. All things considered I would rather have been in London than Chicago during this snowstorm. In fact I'd rather be in London anytime....

    ReplyDelete